What do I do in an emergency

emergency_sign.jpgWhatever the day or time, if you or someone else experiences severe chest pain, loss of blood or suspected broken bones, go to your nearest accident and emergency department or call 999.

If you need urgent medical advice during surgery hours, please phone the surgery on 0121 203 0666. Please be prepared to give some information to the receptionist. If you need to see a doctor urgently when the surgery is closed please phone the surgery on 0121 203 0666 and follow the instructions. You will be put through to Badger who provides the ‘out-of-hours’ service for us. They will pass a message to the doctor on duty who may phone you to assess your problem. You might be asked to attend the out-of-hours clinic, or receive a home visit.


Alternatively you can phone NHS 111 by ringing 111. You should use the NHS 111 service if you urgently need medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation.

Call 111 if:

  •     you need medical help fast but it's not a 999 emergency
  •     you think you need to go to  A&E or need another NHS urgent care service
  •     you don't know who to call or you don't have a GP to call
  •     you need health information or reassurance about what to do next

For less urgent health needs, contact  your GP  or  local pharmacist  in the usual way.

If a health professional has given you a specific phone number to call when you are concerned about your condition, continue to use that number.

 For immediate, life-threatening emergencies, continue to call 999.



For deaf people and those hard of hearing, a telephone services is available on 0845 606 4647.

If English is not your preferred language, you can choose to use a confidential translation service.

The nearest NHS walk-in centre is located at Birmingham NHS Walk-In Centre, Lower Ground Floor, Boots The Chemists Ltd, 66 High Street, Birmingham, West Midlands, B4 7TA, 0121 255 4500

NHS walk-in centres provide advice and treatment for a range of minor illnesses and injuries.

Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website